Friday, July 30, 2010

Hidden Treasure


Dear Dad,

You know how much I loved to write letters to you and mom when you were living. Well now they have these things called blogs and this one lets me write letters to someone on my mind. Today, it was you. While cleaning out some drawers, I ran across this letter you wrote me in 1989, just six months before this picture of us was taken which was just a year before you died.

Dear Gwen (6/15/89),
The mail has just arrived and I was joyfully surprised to receive a big large package, a Father's Day card and a long letter from you. I reacted like a 6 year old boy and tore into the package and there was the prettiest sport shirt I think I have ever seen . . . then I read the card and letter . . . then I just had to shed a few proud tears . . . I was just over-joyed to realize what a wonderful daughter I could personally lay claim to. . . .you are a sweet, pretty, young lady and I am so proud of you. I just wanted to put my thoughts into words because some day I will not be here to say them. Best wishes and forever be yourself. All my love, Dad


Dad, you cannot imagine how much I cherish having this letter and only regret it was buried in a chest of drawers all these years. I'll go looking for some more tomorrow.

Love,
Gwen

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is so precious. Thanks for sharing. I guess we are still Daddy's girls and I am proud of that.

    ReplyDelete