Thursday, July 22, 2010

It Started with Fish Sticks


Dear Lynn,
It amazes me that such a wonderful, long-lasting friendship could originate over fish sticks but that's precisely what happened when we met in 1994 in a writing class at Georgetown University. Your first class reading was about growing up in Minnesota; mine was about what I ate for lunch.

From there we bonded immediately and sat for hours with our weekly writer's group at the Four Seasons hotel giggling over our creative writings on "big hair" and "little black dresses" and "the temptations of nuns." I don't think I've ever laughed so hard or so often.

Thank you for forging a friendship through silliness -- when does that ever happen anymore!

But it's been the more serious times we've shared that have deepened our bond -- when you came to Kentucky to help me clean out my parent's home after my mother's death, when you sat by my side in the emergency room with an irregular heartbeat and when you mentioned a lovely condo in Old Town was for sale that is my home today. I doubt what I've given to you -- a recommendation on jewelry, urging to get to the gym and the remnants of my mother's quilts -- has had anywhere near the impact on your life.

Thank you for being my friend whether we're practically living next door or many states away. That's the test of a lasting friendship and one I'm richly blessed to have.

Love,
Gwen

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Gwen for this touching and humbling letter. I, too, miss the letters and have many tied with ribbons tucked away in drawers. I will add this to the collection, Dear Friend. xo Lynn

    ReplyDelete