Monday, September 6, 2010

Part Sister, Part Cheerleader, All Friend


Dear Martha,

Thank you for reminding me yesterday of the value of true friendship. There's no one else whom I can sit and hold hands with, and cry, and offer up a prayer for strength. We have supported each other through college days in Lexington, Kentucky, our rambling years in Atlanta (photo circa 1988) and our mid-life in DC.

Our friendship reminds me of the magic of the universe. Some call it destiny, I simply call it a blessing. When I introduced you to my neighbor in 1984 (??) at the pool on Labor Day you met your husband for life. Two beautiful daughters followed and you never let me forget I started it all.

Throughout the years, your cards and letters flooded my mailbox. You announced your pregnancy from San Francisco while on a business trip, your intention to make 1989 our best year from Los Angeles, and found me in Mexico on my 50th birthday. When the phone rings these days I know it's you on the other end with an invitation to dinner with your family (which of course has become mine).

It really doesn't matter what city we live in from now on. If you follow me to Cape Cod or we simply meet up online. You admonished me once after our friend Anna Gaye's early death, "we don't have it so bad after all, we have problems that we can do something about . . . this is life, not a dress rehearsal . . . live your own life, not a replay of your mother's or anyone else's."

Thank you for caring enough, and being bold enough, to never let go.

Love,
Gwen

No comments:

Post a Comment